Thursday, August 23, 2012
Crissy's Turn at the Vet
I'm exhausted today, and its all down to my little four-legged sausage, Crissy. Being so grossly overweight causes her to have trouble breathing. All that extra weight is probably pushing on her lungs, heart, and all the other organs. She has bouts of reverse sneezing (snorting in huge amounts of air rather than blowing it out). Reverse sneezing is normal in dogs, but not to the extent that she does it. Most dogs do it occasionally, beagles do it a bit more than other breeds, but she does it to the extreme. It seems to be such a struggle for her to even breathe normally. Last night, she was reverse sneezing, gasping, and wheezing quite a lot and she woke me up three times - not good when I had to get up at 5:00 a.m. for work. She scared me last night with the amount of trouble she had, so today I called the vet and told them that I wanted to switch dogs for the appointment I had made originally for Reggie. He has allergies, is on prednisone which stopped the scratching and chewing his tail, but he also had a slight ear infection and the appointment was for a re-check. Crissy needed that appointment more than he did, so I brought her instead.
Since the day I brought Crissy home, she's been on a diet. She only gets a half cup of dry dog food mixed with about a tablespoon of wet food for a bit a flavor twice a day. I walk her, weather permitting, but she can't go far because she becomes winded, tongue hanging almost to the ground, and dragging her feet. A few times I thought I'd have to carry her home. We don't go far - just around the block - but its a struggle for her, poor little thing. Her being unable to walk for any distance is cramping Reggie's style - he wants to go, go, go, but unfortunately she can't, so he's paying a price too. The only solution is to walk them separately, which will not be easy on me!!
Anyway. . .back to the vet visit. Even with the reduced amount of food and the exercise she gets, she's not losing any weight at all. I had a vet tech come to the house two weeks ago to cut their nails (I'm scared to do it!), and she suggested that maybe Crissy has a thyroid problem. Being so scared last night with the breathing issues, when I brought her in, I asked the vet to please do testing for thyroid issues. Believe it or not, Crissy has the same symptoms of an underactive thyroid that my daughter Lauren had - always tired, sleeping excessively, always being hot and unable to lose weight. The only time Crissy isn't panting, even though the house is air conditioned, is when she's sleeping, which is like 22 hours a day. Just trying to get her up to go out is a chore. Pushing, pulling, prodding - just to get her on her feet. The vet gave her a thorough once-over and from what she could hear, she said she didn't hear anything unusual in Crissy's lungs. Crissy is just too fat for the vet to get a good listen to her heart. Besides that, Crissy was panting heavily, which didn't make it any easier for the vet to listen. All other things, ears, lymph nodes, temperature, joint mobility, were normal. The vet drew a vial of blood for testing for any issues other than the thyroid. That's a separate test. I'll find out the results on Saturday.
I want this little girl to be a normal, happy, healthy dog, and I'm going to do my best to make that happen. She had a shit life before I got her, locked in a cage for ten hours a day, eating crap dog food, and getting fatter and fatter. There's no more cage, and there will never be, she gets a good quality food, and we're going to take care of the obesity. I'll let you know how her tests come out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
poor thing. she's lucky she has you as a mommy now. maybe Reggie would enjoy two walks, one with and one without Crissy. Hopefully the vet will find something they can do to help.
ReplyDeleteHe probably would, but would I??? LOL
DeleteMy horse Jake gets thyroid shots once in a while. They are around $70 or more for a horse. He wasn't tested. The vet said the tests aren't that accurate for horses and Jake had all the symptoms. Jake slims up, I couldn't give him enough exercise for him to loose weight. Russ put him on a diet and he got so grumpy I wouldn't ride him. Now he lost weight, muscled up, feels good and back a pleasure to ride.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the meds worked for Jake and he's back to normal. I hope, if that's what it is with Crissy, it works for her too. I know she's miserable - she never smiles (I know that's silly to say).
DeleteYou are a hero to Sweet Crissy...and a pure blessing to know Joanne! I hope you get good news on Saturday...:))
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lisa :-)
DeletePoor Crissy! I'm so glad that you called the vet to switch dogs. I hope that it's something that can be treated. It's not silly to say she never smiles. I bet she will when the vet finds out what's wrong with her.
ReplyDeleteI hope you get a clear result from the tests, so that you can get some proper treatment for her. If it is thyroid, it's a simple enough treatment and should start to head her in the right direction. She's so lucky to have found you to look after her, after her awful previous life.
ReplyDeleteYour doing a great job. Sorry. I wasn't getting your updates here
ReplyDeleteLucky little dog to have landed in your home. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out what's wrong and get her to start losing that weight.
ReplyDeleteShe is so lucky to have found you.
ReplyDeleteDear Jo. Im glad she has found a home at your's. Ill be thinking of the li'l one and wishing that she will get well.
ReplyDeletePoor little pup. Good you found her and has taken her in. I have thyroid issues and before getting treatment, felt much like Crissy must feel. It took me about a year to come right and get it under control. Hope it will go faster for Crissy, for yours and her sake. Hugs you tight. Doggy smooches for both of furry friends from and the zoo here.
ReplyDeleteIt's very possible she has a thyroid problem!! She may also be pre-diabetic. I'm glad they're testing her, poor roly-poly baby.
ReplyDeleteI'm TRYING to get down to Jersey in September so hopefully I'll get to meet her in person and give her a squeeze. Reggie too (and you). You're a good dog-mama.
I'm so hoping she's not diabetic, or even pre-diabetic. I had four years of giving insulin shots twice a day to Bonnie. I really don't want to do that again. I might as well chain myself to the wall.
DeleteGood for you to recognize she has a problem!!
ReplyDeleteHope things start improving for her.
ReplyDeleteYour doing a wonderful job Joanne;\)
ReplyDelete