Monday, September 3, 2012

Hartshorne Woods

The park is named after Richard Hartshorn, who acquired the land from the Lenape for thirteen shillings after sailing into Highlands in 1670. Rocky Point, the easternmost section of the park, contained a World War II era Coast Artillery site known as Battery Lewis. Later, the Highlands Air Force Station, a long-range air defense radar installation and the Highlands Army Air Defense Site (HAADS) were constructed here. The Air Force closed its installation in 1966. The Army continued to operate HAADS through 1974 to support Nike missile batteries throughout the region.














7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lovely place for a walk. Is that where you took the little ones for exercise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to take them there one day, but right now, Crissy would have trouble. We just walk around here, for now

      Delete
  3. fascinating story and photos...loved that fancy mushroom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne I am only here now at Blogger and have started checking out posts regularly these are awesome thats just the sort of place I love to explore;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an interesting place, Honey. Nice to see that Mother Nature is already trying to hide the concrete buildings. Had to smile at the 'shadow-art' in the second pic :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!! I have your URL added proper now :) I luv your pics :) gm xxx

    ReplyDelete