Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook



It was a beautiful day this past Sunday, so I took a ride to Sandy Hook, but instead of stopping at the beach, I took the road all the way to the end of the peninsula where Fort Hancock was located. The fort was decommissioned by the army in 1976. Sandy Hook Lighthouse is also located on the former Fort. This lighthouse is the oldest continuously operating lighthouse in the United States. Its been in operation since 1764.

Beach PathOfficers RowOfficers Quarters now abandonedVery tip of Sandy HookNice day for a sailBeautiful old building
Officers RowIMG_1153Beautiful buildings - how sadOriginal WindowLovely walkwayBack of Officers Quarters
Baseball Backstop - c. 1943LighthouseLighthouse Keeper ResidenceLighthouse c. 1764Nice place for a restSandy Hook Lighthouse
Science CenterNine Gun Battery 3Nine Gun Battery 2NJ cactusKeep Out!Nine Gun Battery
Fort Hancock and Sandy Hook, a set on Flickr.

6 comments:

  1. Ooooh! I wish I was there with you! That's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shots, Honey. I think Blogger is slow updating today. It's around 7pm Thursday evening here and this has only just showed up in my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to spend the day! There is something special about our East Coast Beaches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Joanne sat looking at these with my coffee what a wonderful historic place to visit thanks for the tour;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the beginning could be here, but then it becomes obviously not when the New York City pictures show up.

    It is so sad that the officers houses are empty. Couldn't the government have rented them out or something, rather than let them just die a slow death? Amazingly there are still in better shape than the homes many life in here in Savannah. My own neighborhood isn't even that nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gm :) these are fabulous! Great history there :)

    ReplyDelete