Saturday, October 27, 2012

Here We Go Again

Hurricane Sandy is making her way up the east coast and we're due to get hit - bad. They're saying that this storm will be one for the record books as far as storm surge, wind damage, power outages, etc. - in the billions of dollars. So, all day today I've been doing what I can to minimize damage around my house. Storm windows are up/on, both porches are cleared off, anything that can be blown away has been put away, I have batteries and emergency lights (I can't deal with candles - I found that out last year so I bought a whole bunch of battery operated lights), I have food for me, water, and animal food. The trees that came down last year are no longer a threat, but two trees on the side of my house and one giant tree in the rear corner of the yard are. I'll be sleeping on the couch for the next couple of nights in case the trees next to the house decide to fall. There's been no talk yet of evacuation, but even if there was, I wouldn't go - most evacuation sites don't allow animals and I'm not leaving these six to fend for themselves.

The main hit will take place Monday night into Tuesday, if the storm stays on track and doesn't make a drastic right turn out into the Atlantic. The Navy has already sent the ships out to sea to ride it out, stores are madhouses with people stocking up on non-perishables (I went food shopping on Wednesday so I'm ok), the lines at the gas stations run out to the streets, and there's not a generator to be found in the entire state of New Jersey. Hopefully, this is being blown (no pun intended!) out of proportion by the news media. 

So, if the weather folks are right, and its as bad as they said it would be, wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.

12 comments:

  1. hopefully it won't be that bad
    sounds like you have done all you can and are prepared...will keep yours in prayers for safety

    ReplyDelete
  2. always good to be prepared.... I remember Gloria in the 80's ripping up the east coast like gangbusters... and I know there have been others... hope everyone is spared somehow..... keep in touch as you can, sending prayers for safety....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mo. How are you feeling???? You had all of us very worried.

      Delete
  3. Hi Honey. Batten down the hatches and stay safe!!! Get down in that basement if necessary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Batten down, Joanne ! I hope that you and your animals will be safe from harm! Wishing you best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope everything goes well, am thinking of you in New Jersey. Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, it is Tuesday morning here 07h33. How r u doing?
    Are you and the animals OK? Survived the storm?
    Huggs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope all is OK with you and the dogs! It has been 3 days now....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am counting the days here ~smile~ ... I do know that power has been lost to millions of homes ... hope all is okay with you ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete